Generally speaking, a traditional computer science degree with five classes per semester at 120 credits will take somewhere around four years to complete. A few differences are present in an online set-up, such as the ability to take more or fewer classes per semester while being able to transfer credits and the possibility of accelerated study.
Many people take advantage of online courses, which have gotten popular for their time efficiency, flexibility, and commitment. According to U.S. News, more than 60% of undergraduate students worked part-time or full-time for four years.
What To Know About A Computer Science Degree Online
There are exceptions to the 120-credit course requirement for most schools that offer online computer science courses. For example, the City University of Seattle offers 180 credits at a quarter schedule.
Whether a program is an undergraduate or graduate course also affects the length of time it takes to complete. The University of Potoma reports that postgraduate programs typically take two years. Accelerated programs can reduce this time to one year, while doctoral programs last four and five years.
Coursera, an online learning platform, collaborates with over 200 premier universities and businesses to provide individuals and organizations worldwide with flexible, inexpensive, and job-relevant online learning. They report varying durations when it comes to the completion of computer science courses, some of which are as follows:
- A Master of computer science degree from Arizona State University will require 18 – 36 months.
- A Master of computer and information technology degree from Penn Engineering will take 16 – 40 months.
- A Master of computer science degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign will take 1 – 3 years.
A bachelor of computer science from the University of London will require 3-6 years to complete. Moreover, a Master of Science in cyber security degree from the same university will take 24 – 60 months. However, Coursera offers online degrees with 23 courses in total, taking 14 – 28 hours per week to complete.
A student studying part-time will instead finish the degree in 4 – 5 years. They specify that the bachelor’s program is a 360 UK credit degree that requires the completion of the following:
- One 15 core module and seven 15 credit compulsory modules at FHEQ Level 4 (120 credits),
- Eight 15 credit compulsory modules at FHEQ Level 5 (120 credits), and
- Six 15 credit optional modules at FHEQ Level 6 and a 30 credit project (120 credits).
The University of the People, a tuition-free, accredited American university, also offers associate, bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees at the following time investments:
- An associate degree:
- Features 20 courses in a chosen field of study; and
- It is usually completed within two years.
- A bachelor’s degree:
- Requires a minimum of 120 approved credits; and
- It has five terms in a year, every ten weeks in length, which must be completed in 50 terms of active enrollment.
- A Master’s degree:
- Requires the completion of 36-semester hour credits;
- It is usually completed within 18 months of full-time study, which is two courses per term;
- Can be studied part-time up to a maximum of five years; and
- Features at least 12 courses, including:
- Three foundational courses;
- Three business electives;
- Three core electives;
- Two program electives; and
- The capstone project/course
Additional Fees To Consider For Online Students
Online computer science students must have a computer that meets their school’s technical standards. These requirements may be higher than those for students pursuing a non-technical major. Students pursuing a computer science degree online must pay for textbooks and supplies. Students must also budget for a one-time graduation fee during their last year.
Certifications can help professionals boost their careers with an online computer science degree. Certifications and courses demonstrate mastery of one or more abilities, such as coding. Exam fees are frequently charged by organizations that provide them. To keep their certification status, professionals may have to pay a fee.
If you are looking to explore your options and wonder how long other online courses can take, visit GoDegree’s blogs. You will get more information on the completion time for a business degree online and other relevant certificates that can help you pursue your plans for higher education.