What To Look For In An Online Computer Science Degree?
The number of people taking online courses in computer science has been increasing in the past years. There are many specializations in the field of computer science. Those interested in obtaining a degree in this have several aspects that they should consider when considering which degrees to work towards.
Certain resources online can be very useful for those looking into specifics and other information when trying to acquire a degree online. Costs, curriculum options, courses, and different schools that offer online computer science degrees are available at degree.
Aside from personal or professional preferences, accreditation is one of the most important things to look for. Verify that the classes or services can award legitimate degrees. The right to hand out these degrees is seen in the form of accreditation.
These are given out by organizations like the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). When deciding where or how to earn a computer science degree, it’s important to double-check if the HLC or other similar organizations accredit the school or service.
It varies from degree to degree in terms of the investment required to see a computer science degree through. College Board reported that four-year courses from public universities charged $10,560 yearly in 2020-2021, with the total costs exceeding $40,000. Private schools typically charge much more.
There are scholarships that people can apply for when deciding to pursue these degrees:
- Career Enhancement Scholarship
- Online and Continuing Education Scholarship
- Online Access Scholarship
- Bridge Scholarship for Transfer Students
- Gulstad Achievement Scholarship
- Financial Hardship Grant
- Lincoln AIM High Merit Scholarships
- Transfer Scholarships
- Luther J. Stallings Jr. Scholarship
- Freshman and Transfer Academic Scholarships
These are all scholarships that are available to some of the schools that offer online computer science degrees. Applying for a good scholarship can greatly alleviate the financial strain of studying, especially for people only pursuing studies part-time.
There are also avenues for studying for free or close to free. Some of these include:
Go Degree features another article that goes into more detail about free options in another article.
It goes without saying that what there is to learn in the course in the first place is of the utmost importance. Different courses will offer different majors and specializations that can be taken. These should be carefully studied and explored before making a decision to ensure that the correct and best-suited choice is made.
There exists a wide spectrum that can be chosen from. A few of them include:
- Artificial Intelligence
- This is focused on the use of computing systems to solve problems, make predictions, and complete complex tasks.
- Computer-Human Interface
- This is focused on the many different ways that people interact with computers like websites and mobile phones.
- Game Design
- This is focused on the realistic images, AI, and machine learning that are applied in modern games.
- This is focused on the wired and wireless communication networks organizations use to internally and externally exchange information.
- Computer Graphics
- This is focused on the two and three-dimensional images used in software, games, and other computer-assisted designs.
- Information Security
- This is focused on all aspects of an organization’s security in their software applications, network, storage devices, and others.
- Data Science
- This is focused on the ability to gather a large amount of data for useful information.
- Programming Languages
- It is focused on the key differences between different programming languages.
- Software Engineering
- It is focused on application and development as well as the systems and protocols involved.
- It is focused on optimizing the use of hardware, software, and services
- It focuses on the advanced mathematical theories and principles applied in computer science.
If you’d like to learn more about assessing reputable programs, read Go Degree’s article on reputable online accounting degrees today!